Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weight a While

I'm 51 years old now and constantly joke about how long I've been married. While we have been married almost 28 years I tell people that I got married 50 pounds ago. I can make fun of it but it is really getting to me. I have worried about my weight for a long time. When Karen and I married I weighed about 150 to 160 pounds. Now for the confession. I stepped on the scale the other day and it said 226 lbs. I used to think I carried it well but now I always seem to have to get my clothes just a little bit larger. I have several shirts I can't wear right now because they have "shrunk".

It is no longer a laughing matter. I can't put it off any longer. Just this morning my wife said to me, "When I wake up in the morning and don't hear you breathing I get scared because I think you might be dead". Usually she doesn't hear me because I get up earlier than she does and I'm downstairs doing something. I didn't know it was bothering her this much or that she was worrying like that.

I have obsessed about losing weight even going so far as to participate in a weight loss study at a local clinical research facility. It worked at first but then I gained all the weight back after it was over. My problem is will power, focus and follow through. I always start out with the best of intentions. I've never had anyone really push me to lose weight. I'm tired of being "fat". There, I've said it. I'm fat. It doesn't look good on me. I don't like buying the bigger clothes. They don't look good on me. You don't want to see me naked either.

Today I'm going to start watching my weight go down. I'm publishing a picture with this blog so I can track my progress, and so can you. By December 31st, 2011 my weight will be down to at least 190 lbs. That means that over the next 9 months I must lose at least 4 lbs a month. It doesn't sound that bad. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment