Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloween Memories

With Halloween almost upon us I couldn’t help but think of the fun times we’ve had over the years. Growing up I went trick or treating until I was about 15 or 16 only because we didn’t want to grow up just yet. But then I discovered how much fun it was to try and scare the kids as they came up to our house. One year I set up a life size dummy corpse on our front porch. Another year I dressed up as a scarecrow and sat on the porch like I was a stuffed scarecrow with the bowl of candy on my lap. When the kids in costume came up I would suddenly come to life and hand them the candy. I scared some of them but not all.

When I grew up and had a daughter I made a costume for her that I thought was pretty cool. OK, so I’m her Dad and most dads don’t sew. I didn’t think this one would be too hard. It was a Crayon costume.
Tara chose pink. It came out very nice. She liked it and we kept it for years until finally deciding to give it away.

 We went to her cousins house and he dressed up like Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Then we took them through the neighborhoods and they got lots of candy which we then rationed out to them over the next several weeks.  We only took the candy that we knew they wouldn't like for ourselves.  Hey, maybe we don't dress up anymore but we still like the candy.  I no longer dress up for Halloween but I still have a lot of good memories of that holiday.   It's almost more phone giving out the candy and seeing all the other costumes anyway.

It’s too bad some people want to try and take that away from our kids though.

 She had a host of other costumes through the years but these were some of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment