Saturday, January 3, 2009

Boxing Day?

New Year Day, or the first Saturday after New Years, has become "Boxing Day" in our house. While it isn't the same as Boxing Day in the UK, it is a tradition nonetheless. In our home it means that it's time to take down all of the Christmas Decorations and "box them up". We did that today. While I love the Christmas holiday with all of its trimmings, decorations, gift giving, parties, food, and the general feeling of goodwill and peace on earth, I dread this day.

I'll give you an example of why. When my wife and I were first married we were able to move everything we owned, up two flights of stairs into our first apartment in just 15 minutes. There were three of us doing that. Today it took us (mostly me when it came to the packing and clean up) nearly 5 hours just to take down the decorations, pack them up and take them down one flight of stairs and put them into the basement. Next year I would like to put them up the day after Thanksgiving so that there's more time to enjoy them while they're up. We didn't get them up until after the first week of December and then we didn't trim the tree until after our daughter got home the Sunday before Christmas.

I love the holidays. Check out the slideshow to see what our house looked like on the inside with the decorations up.

No comments:

Post a Comment