Saturday, January 31, 2009

Things I Take For Granted

Over the past two weeks I've come to realize that there are certain things that we take for granted, like heat, hot water and running water. It's the end of January and the temperature is hovering around 10 degrees outside. Inside it's just under 60 degrees. Why? Because the furnace has broken down. There are a lot of things I can fix but there are some things that are just beyond my capabilities. So I called my friendly heating repairman. I couldn't get a hold of the guy I would normally use because he has apparently gone out of business. So I do the next best thing and call another one. I asked them to please hurry. Lo and behold the guy arrives within the hour. I'm saved! I'm hoping for a quick fix and a low bill. He's not thinking the same way. So, a new motor and over $500 later I have heat. One problem solved.

Now for the hot water. The water has a huge leak in it and it's one that can't be fixed. I have to replace the entire thing. Luckily it's under warranty. The bad part is, the company I bought it from is out of business I have to get it from the manufacturer, in Tennessee. They can send a free replacement out right away, but it will be 7 - 10 days before it arrives. I'm stuck. I can't fix it, there's no running hot water, and there are two people in this house who like to take showers every day.

Pulling on my Boy Scout experience I do the next best thing: heat water on the stove, fill the buckets, and use the old two bucket method of sponge baths. Not much fun for me, and especially my wife. Every morning at 6 a.m. I'm in the kitchen heating up water on the stove for the both of us. It's not the best solution but it works for now.

Finally, 7 days after it's ordered, the water heater arrives. That night, after I finish all my work, I begin work on replacing the water heater. I'm not a professional plumber but I've done some copper pipe and soldering work in the past. After getting it all hooked up I turn on the water. All is well until the water heater fills up and pressurizes and I find out that a couple of my solder joints are leaking. Off goes the water and I try to fix it. It wasn't until 12:30 at night before I finally gave up and decide to finish it in the morning. It's still leaking but at least we'll have some hot water for showers tomorrow.

Once the new day arrives I'm finally able to take a look at it with a clearer mind and I'm able to finish it in short order. Now we can have a dry basement and hot water again. I always find it amazing how we can take things for granted, until we no longer have it.

The same thing goes for relationships. We don't realize what we've had until we've lost it. I hope it's not too late for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment