Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas Letters

Growing up, my father used to write the annual christmas letter to everyone. The unique thing about how he wrote these letters was that he wrote it in the form of a poem. Now my father may not have been the best poet in the world (he wasn't what you would write books about), but he made the letters interesting. The end of every sentence rhymed, and he made sure to include everyone in the letter. Our family consisted of my mom and dad, my two brothers, myself, and my three sisters. I'm number 5 of 6. I don't think he really started these letters until the early 1960's, and they became something to look forward too. The first thing everybody looked for was what he had to say about them. I was no different. I loved reading about me. I'd zoom in on those passages right away. It seemed like this way we knew he was taking the time to think about us and the highlights of our life that year.

As time went on the letters became better looking. I remember the first time we put a family photo in the letter. Then he started adding graphics. After a while he even started adding color. Each year was a new adventure in what my father would come up with next. We all signed our names to the letter and then sent it out. I think I have almost every christmas letter he wrote since I was born. It's a great history lesson.

As time went on, the family grew. We all got married, had kids, and started traditions of our own. But the Christmas Letter kept coming. He still tried to include all of us but the paragraphs got shorter. We knew he was still thinking about us though and we always enjoyed these letters. Some of us even continued the tradition, though without the poetry.

I don't necessarily have a gift for writing so my wife writes the Christmas Letter. While some people don't necessarily enjoy an "annual history lesson", my wife writes them in such a way that people kind of look forward to them. They are funny, informative, and not loaded with all of the traditional "everything great, nothing's wrong" type of stories. I appreciate the time she puts into doing this because in my mind, it keeps the tradition alive. This year we ran out of time and energy. So much was going on. She wrote a much shorter letter this year and I want to share it with you. So for anyone that's reading this, enjoy.



Merry Christmas - Happy New Year 2009

I know you were looking forward to a jam-packed, wordy Christmas letter from the Lane family, but it's just not going to happen this year. I'm just going to try to touch on some of the high points.
Kevin began a new career this year working as a financial advisor with AXA Advisors. It has been challenging learning a new career, but he really likes it. He is in the Young Men's Presidency at Church now, which is great for a former (and actually present) Scouter. Sadly, his dad passed away in October, but he was really not doing well and was just waiting to be with Kevin's mom, his mother and father, brothers and sisters, and son. The family gathered together in San Jose, CA for one last farewell to him.
Karen finally found a job she can live with! She is working as a receptionist for another CPA firm, one that is closer to home, and it has been great. She's not nearly the nervous wreck she used to be, though at times she still feels overwhelmed with trying to work full-time and keeping up with everything else. However, she no longer drives to work with knots in her stomach (except for the day after the election). At church, Karen leads the music in Sacrament Meeting. What a great calling - no meetings, no planning - just show up and wave your arm!
Everything else includes the chorus that Karen and Kevin still belong to (Genesee Valley Orchestra and Chorus (GVOC - www.gvoc.org). This year Karen decided to challenge herself by singing in the tenor section for "The Messiah" Concert. A challenge it was, but still fun. But she'll be going back to the alto section for the next concert. Kevin was in charge of the major fundraiser for the chorus, as well as working on the publicity committee. He just gets into that stuff.
Darling Tara is now 22, graduates from BYU in April, and will soon be out on her own in the big city of her choice! She spent 10 weeks in Washington, DC this summer doing an internship for school and loved every minute of her big adventure. She started a blog and has a few loyal readers (besides Mom and Dad). You can visit it at http://tarablogs.blogspot.com. At the end of her internship we picked her up, spent a couple of days in DC and the rest of the week at the beaches in Delaware. We had such a great time. I always talk about traveling, but honestly, I don't know why - we have everything we need right here in the good ol' USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment